Skip to Content

Landlord Information

How Do I Become A Participating Landlord?

When a family has been determined eligible for assistance, they will receive a Voucher. Then they begin their search for a suitable unit.

Step 1 - A family contacts you with a Voucher for rental assistance in hand. First, ask to see the Voucher and check the expiration date. If the date is current the applicant is eligible for assistance.

Step 2 - Owner/landlord screens the family for suitability as a renter. HACG only verifies family income and composition. The HACG knows that the owner has approved a family for tenancy when we receive the Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) and the lease. The owner/landlord may submit his own lease to HACG; however, HUD requires certain language in any lease signed by a Voucher participant.

HUD requires the following items in a lease:

  • The lease must comply with state and local laws.
  • The initial term of the lease must be for at least one year.
  • The lease must specify what utilities and appliances are to be supplied by the family

Step 3 - After the owner/landlord approves the family, the family and landlord fill out the RTA; the family should have this form in hand; it must be completed and signed by both the landlord and participant. The RTA and lease are to be returned to HACG for approval. We will review the signed RTA and schedule an HQS inspection date with the landlord.

The family portion of rent plus any applicable utility allowance equals the Total Tenant Payment (TTP). The family cannot rent a unit if their TTP exceeds 50% of their monthly adjusted income if the rent is above the payment standard. If the unit is not determined affordable or the unit does not meet the rent reasonableness requirements, you and the family will be notified.

Step 4 - Once the unit has been inspected, HACG will verify the rent is reasonable based on the market.

Additional Information

For additional information or if you have questions, click/tap here to email us.

Landlord FAQs

  • When will I receive my funds?

    Monthly HAP funds are paid twice a month. Funds are automatically deposited via Direct Deposit (see the FAQ at the bottom of this page) and are available on the First and Fifteenth of each month. HAP funds will continue as long as the family continues to meet eligibility requirements and the unit continues to meet HQS requirements. The family is responsible to pay the difference between HACG 's payment amount and the total contract rent. The family portion is paid directly to the owner. The owner may not charge the family in excess of the family's portion of rent.

  • How do I list my property?

    The Housing Authority of Columbus, Georgia administers 3,496 Vouchers through HUD's Section 8 Program. The Vouchers are used to subsidize rent on privately owned properties. You may list your property on the following website:

  • What Is an HQS inspection?

    Housing Quality Standards (HQS) have been set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in an effort to improve the quality of assisted housing nationally. Prior to a unit being accepted for Section 8 subsidy, it must pass an inspection, which consists of HQS and City Guidelines. For all inspections after the second failed inspection, HACG assesses $45.00 for each inspection thereafter.

  • When can I increase rent?

    HACG and the tenants/clients need a written 60-day notice of any rent increase prior to the tenant/client annual certification. Download the Landlord Rent Change Request form below. Click/tap here to submit the completed form.

Back to top